Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"It's something in the watah."

That pseudo-scientific claim in a thick Brooklyn accent is my grandmother's answer for every conundrum.
  • "You know, Emily, there are places around the woyeld wheh the average life expectancy is 100!"
  • "Yowah cousin Mahsha tried to make my apple cake. I gave heh the whole recipe, but she said it didn't come out right."
  • "When yowah uncle Bobby went to Israel and swam in the Dead Sea, his sciatica didn't bothah him fah six months!"
-- Say it with me now: It must be something in the watah.

Well, grandma Sylvia may have been right, or at least there's another old person from Brooklyn and one ex-pat in Florida who agree with her.


Ray agrees with Grandma.

A bagel shop called Brooklyn Water Bagels recently opened in Del Ray Beach, FL. Convinced that I.M.B.S.I.T.W., they tested bagels with every borough's water supply, decided Brooklyn water produced the best, and recreated Brooklyn tap water in their store. They bake with it, they sell it bottled for a buck, and even flush their toilets with it.


I get Brooklyn tap water for free, bitches!

From their website:
"Through extensive research, the Company has successfully acquired technology that can convert any local-source water to water of the same quality and characteristics of New York's. With this key ingredient, the Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Company is now ready to launch its concept for the nation's newest and most exciting bagel restaurant concept ever."

I dunno about you, but there's a lot of Brooklyn water I wouldn't want in my bagel. Yes, grandma, there is definitely something in the water of the Gowanus Canal. Yum, gonhorrea-coal tar bagels!



via Serious Eats

No comments: