Friday, February 5, 2010

Quirky Decorating Roundup

I'm redecorating my apartment. I know this sounds glamorous, but in truth my roommate and all his furniture are leaving March 1. I've stumbled upon some quirky solutions in the process.


Curtain by Bauke Knottnerus

I have a really awkward spot in my apartment. I have a converted railroad, which leaves me with a windowless living room bookended by large, ugly doors. I intend to cover one with a large bookshelf, but the other side is really tough. It's hard to explain. There are doored closets on each side of the fugly door, which prevents me from hiding it behind furniture. I've been thinking about doing something similar to the above. I found a company that makes custom full-bleed tub curtains. Custom photo printed drapes could work, too, but I'm afraid to ask for a quote. Maybe I'll license a photo of a window from a cheap microstock agency, custom print a shower curtain, and stretch it over the ugly door. Yeah? It's certainly cheaper and easier that building a new wall. I could even illuminate it down the line with EL sheets, if I'm feeling ambitious. Maybe it's tacky, but there's a soft spot in my heart for tromp l'oeil, and anything looks better than the cardboard-quality asscrack door mess I have to look at now.






Here's something I'm not considering, but it made me smile.

No comments: